Saturday, December 21, 2019

About The Artist-- Pat Gunning

Artist’s Statement & Biography:I grew up on the coast of Rhode Island and spent some time in northern Vermont, thus my paintings reflect my love of nature, flowers, the ocean, and mountains. Painting in nature is what I enjoy the most. My desire is to capture the natural landscape, light and color in my paintings for others to enjoy as much as I do.
My B.S. is from Trinity College of Vermont, and I have studied oil and watercolors at the DeCordova Museum School of Art in Lincoln, Massachusetts. I have studied Chinese Brush Painting at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, Massachusetts with Sue Yang, and at the Ink Piano Studio with Qingxiong MA.The techniques of Chinese Brush Painting have given me a new prospective on my landscape and floral watercolor paintings.  For the past several years I have studied watercolor painting and techniques with Watercolor Artist Sue Nordhausen .

I have traveled extensively throughout Europe, Asia and Australia, and take the time to paint en plein air in the countries I visit.
Recently, my interests in Tai Chi and Chi Gong have taken me on a journey to study Chinese Brush Painting at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, Massachusetts. The techniques of Chinese Brush Painting have given me a new prospective on my landscape watercolor paintings.

Exhibitions:
2019 -  Feb - Concord Art Association Juried Show for Members, Concord, MA
2018 September- October, Solo Exhibit at the Acton Senior Center, Acton, MA
2018-May-June.  Exhibit at 51 Walden St. Performing Arts Center,  Concord, MA
2018 - March-April- Exhibit at Emerson Hospital, Concord, MA
2017 - Jan-March Three Stone Gallery, West Concord, MA
2015-Jan-Feb.  Exhibit at Performing Arts Center Concord, 51 Walden St. Concord, MA
2015 -  Feb - Concord Art Association Juried Show for Members, Concord, MA
2015 - July-August- Exhibit at Emerson Hospital, Concord, MA
2010-Sue Yang Student Art Show, Buddhist Cultural Center, Cambridge, MA
2009- "Flower Show"  exhibit Feb/March Acton, MA Senior Center


Art Studies & Organizations
2017 & 2018- Watercolor and Sketchbook classes with Liz Steel --on line from Australia
2016- Sketch Book Skool --on line with Europe & USA
2015- April- May - Watercolors with Sue Nordhausen - Lexington Arts & Crafts, MA
2013-September- Painting Plein air with Mel Stabin- Martha's Vineyard, MA
2010-2011 Alla Prima Watercolor with Tom Sutherland
2007-2014 Member of the Chinese Painting Guild, Boston, MA
2010-2011 Traditional Chinese Paintings with Quingxiong Ma
2005–2011 Chinese Brush Painting, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, MA
2003- Technical Watercolor, DeCordova Museum, Lincoln, MA
2001- Intermediate Watercolor Painting, DeCordova Museum, Lincoln, MA
2000- Landscape Watercolor Painting, DeCordova Museum, Lincoln, MA
1998-Mats & Frames Workshop, DeCordova Museum, Lincoln, MA
1996- Basic Watercolor Techniques, DeCordova Museum, Lincoln, MA
Museum of Fine Arts member, Boston, MA
Concord Art Association member, Concord, MA
DeCordova Museum & Sculpture Park member, Lincoln, MA
Newport Art Museum & Art Association member, Newport, RI